The Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment (ITI) opened the Northwest Territories (NWT) Parks Online Reservation System over two days last week and received a huge level of interest and interaction.
Here’s a recap, by the numbers:
Most Popular Park:
- 587: the top number of bookings at a single campground on the first day of reservations. Fred Henne Territorial Park takes the crown for most popular campground with this high number, followed by Reid Lake Territorial Park (248), Prelude Lake Territorial Park (228), and Fort Providence Territorial Park (99).
- 1,458: the total number of reservations made as of mid-day on day two.
Record Breaking Bookings:
- Number of bookings within the first hour of site opening:
- Within the first hour of opening on day one, just over $50,000 in bookings was generated vs. $42,700 in 2016.
- Within the first hour of opening on day two, just over $56,000 in bookings was generated vs. $48,600 in 2016.
- 26,282: the number of NWT Parks page views as of mid-day on day two.
- Roughly 71% of site views were visitors from Canada and 27% from the U.S.
- 80% of U.S. page views came from California.
- 18: the number of campgrounds in the NWT that ITI maintains.
- 29,158: the number of people who stayed at NWT campgrounds in the 2016 camping season.
- $3.8 Million: ITI planned investment in parks infrastructure for 2017/18.
- $167.1 Million: the impact of the tourism industry in the NWT economy in the 2015/16 fiscal year.
Investments in parks infrastructure are a key part of ITI’s commitment to provide high quality public tourism facilities in the NWT, not only for visitors, but for the enjoyment and enhanced quality of life of NWT residents. There is still plenty of time and sites available to book your camping adventure for 2017!