- The Northern Food Development Program (NFDP) aims to increase local food production and availability of northern food products for consumers in the NWT. IT is targeted at farmers, greenhouse growers, harvesters, and fishers who demonstrate that the majority of their products is being directed at commercial markets.
- Funding is available for local food production. The program provides support for agriculture, fisheries, wildlife harvesting, and non-timber forest products.
- NFDP aims to make investments which support:
- Community economic diversification.
- Northern food production and processing.
- Increasing local and regional agriculture and fishery participation and output.
- Encouraging/supporting local and niche food production and marketing initiative.
- Increasing availability of northern foods to northern consumers.
- Have a minimum of 1 acre (.405 hectares/4047 square meters/43 560 square feet) under production and be able to demonstrate commercial sales.
- Greenhouse growers should have a minimum of 1000 sq. ft. under full production and demonstrate commercial sales.
- Harvesters of wild edibles and syrups should demonstrate commercial sales.
- Submit an application to your regional ITI office.
This program is targeted at farmers, greenhouse growers, harvesters and fishers who demonstrate that the majority of their production is being directed at commercial markets. For more detailed guidelines, download the document below.
For more information on the NFDP and to submit an application, contact your regional ITI office.