In this section
The Government of the Northwest Territories, Departments of Industry Tourism and Investment and Education, Culture and Employment, is providing special funding through the NWT Film Commission and NWT Arts for film and arts related initiatives in light of COVID-19 impacts.
This one-time economic recovery funding (for the 2020–21 fiscal year) is special support for our Artists, Film Producers and Arts Organizations who are preparing to resume or re-define their professional activities in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
$250,000 is available in total.
Funding is available for the development and production of creative projects; and/or artist’s professional and business development.
Individual artists; or commercial film and media arts producers
Activities may include (but are not limited to): Creation of artwork, song writing, book writing, play development, theatre/dance development, script writing, creating a promotional film reel, photography, business development, marketing and promotional activities, online training and certification.
Registered arts businesses, not-for-profit organizations and collectives
Activities may include (but are not limited to): Projects that promote and express NWT arts or culture through this time as a means of uniting and responding to crises.
Submit a 1 to 3 page description of your project no later than Friday, May 29, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. (MST) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The project description should include:
- Your contact information (including name, email and phone number)
- Project description, who is involved and what the purpose is
- How you might share this creation or final project with others (optional)
- How you and others (involved or who you share with) might benefit from the project
- How you will spend this funding (budget breakdown)
- Timeline of project
- How it will abide by NWT Chief Health Officer of Health's recommendations that can be found here: https://www.gov.nt.ca/covid-19/
- The purchase of capital assets such as large media or musical equipment, computer equipment or other major tools etc. is not eligible; however, the purchase of supplies for your project may be eligible.
- Applicants may apply for up to 100% of eligible project costs and include artist fees.
- Artists that receive funding through this Recovery Fund will not be eligible for Support for Entrepreneur and Economic Development Program (SEED) funding for the same project/activity this fiscal year.
- A selection committee will assess the applications.
- As much as possible, funding will be allocated equitably across NWT communities.
- Applicants must reside in the NWT at the time of application.
- We will communicate results within 2 weeks of the deadline.
- A second application deadline might be released if funds remain.