The GNWT is committed to building a diversified, sustainable territorial economy by providing support for business and economic development throughout the NWT.
What is the purpose?
The GNWT spends over $260 million annually on products and services. The purpose of Business Incentive Policy (BIP) is to give preference on government procurement to businesses that are owned and operated within the NWT. It is designed to promote economic growth and capacity within NWT Businesses and the economy.
What are the advantages of registering my company?
You must be registered with BIP in order to enter into a contract with the GNWT. Companies registered with BIP can receive a favourable bid adjustment over non-BIP companies. The bid adjustment is based on the value of the contract.
For contracts up to $1 million
- 15% NWT and 5% local adjustment
For contracts over $1 million
- 15% NWT and 5% local adjustment for the first $ 1million and 1.5% NWT and 0.5% local adjustment for the amount over $1 million.
How can I register my company?
- The registration requirement for BIP is majority ownership within the NWT (51%).
- You must have been a resident within the NWT for the past 12 months.
- Information such as: copy of driver’s license or T222 Northern residency tax form will be required.
The Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment maintains the Government's official registry of all approved northern businesses under the Business Incentive Policy.
The Government's Contract Registry and Reporting System provides a single comprehensive and readily accessible database of all Government contracting.
To register with the Business Incentive Policy, download the application form below.
Contact your regional Economic Development Officer for guidance with the BIP program or view the documents below.