June 17, 2020
The days are getting warmer and the sunscreen is coming out, which means the Northwest Territories beach season is also just around the corner!
Beach Attendants will be on duty at Fred Henne Territorial Park beach beginning Saturday, June 20th. They will patrol the beach seven days a week from 9:30am – 8:30pm. A lifejacket loaner station is also available at the beach.
Recommendations from the Chief Public Health Officer may limit the capacity of beach areas across the NWT. Please respect physical distancing guidelines while visiting beaches and public areas.
Water safety at NWT Parks is everyone’s responsibility. Here is a list of water safety tips (including beach safety tips) that can help beach-goers ensure a safe and fun-filled summer:
- While in the water, keep children (7 years or younger) within arm's reach of a caregiver that is 16 years or older.
- Be observant of any potential hazards before wading in.
- Swimmers 11 years (or younger) should be accompanied by someone 16 years or older.
- Inexperienced swimmers and boaters need to wear a lifejacket.
- Stay aware of where children are playing and what they are doing.