August 13, 2020
Joyce Taylor has been named as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Northwest Territories Business Development and Investment Corporation (BDIC).
BDIC is an accountable and independent Crown Corporation of the Government of the Northwest Territories providing resources for the economic development of the Northwest Territories.
With the impacts of COVID-19 on Northwest Territories economy and businesses, BDIC’s mission is more important than ever before. Ms. Taylor will be responsible for ensuring BDIC is equipped to support our economy by encouraging the creation and development of businesses and opportunities in our communities.
Ms. Taylor has been a Yellowknife resident for close to a decade. She holds a CPA-CA designation as well as an economics and finance degree, and has extensive corporate financial experience in both the private and public sectors. Her professional experience combined with her education will enhance BDIC and serve the organization and its clients well.
Ms. Taylor’s new role as CEO for BDIC will take effect on September 8, 2020.
“Ms. Joyce Taylor’s experience in venture capital is directly relevant to the role as CEO of BDIC when it comes to identifying, supporting, and growing new business ventures in Northwest Territories communities. I want to congratulate Joyce and wish her well as she assumes her new role and the important responsibilities that come with it.
- Katrina Nokleby, Minister of Industry, Tourism and Investment
“ I look forward to working with Joyce to advance the corporation’s mission and vision to help create and develop NWT businesses that will contribute to the territory’s economic growth.”
-Denny Rodgers, Chairperson, BDIC
- Ms. Taylor is currently Director of Finance and Capital Planning with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. Since joining the GNWT in 2014, she has also held senior roles within the NWT Housing Corporation and Departments of Environment and Natural Resources, Finance, and Transportation (now Infrastructure).
- Ms. Taylor other past experience includes Chief Financial Officer of an international venture capital investment and lending group and Senior Manager of a public accounting firm leading corporate acquisition, restructuring, private equity and debt investment transactions.
- During the COVID-19 Pandemic, BDIC has implemented relief supports including BDIC Deferred Loan Payments and BDIC Working Capital Loans.
- One hundred and fifty-eight (158) NWT businesses representing one hundred and twenty-two (122) accounts are currently benefiting from the Payment Deferment Initiative.
- Eighty-six (86) NWT businesses have benefited from COVID-19 Working Capital Loans worth over $ 2.3 million to date.