NWT Hydrocarbon Potential
The Petroleum Resources Division provides new visualization of pre-existing published material, based on the Northwest Territories Geoscience Office (NTGO) NWT Open File 2005-004 publication of Hydrocarbon Potential Ranking Map of the Sahtu and G'wichin Settlement Areas Map 1 of 2 (L.P. Gal).
The original publication from which the hydrocarbon potential is referenced from can be found at the Northwest Territories Gelogical Survey publications site: http://www.nwtgeoscience.ca/our-publications/, and reference NTGO NWT Open File 2005-004.
The oil and gas rights within the map are current as of March 2023.
As of 2021, there will be new versions of the regional map with a Title_URL added to the PDF filename. This notation is to identify versions of the map that provide page links pointing to the Oil and Gas Licences (Titles) page.
If you hover your cursor over the LAND_CODE field where the titles/licence codes are listed and move down the list, you will see that the link changes based on which Oil and Gas Licences web page the licence can be found. These links will take you to the corresponding licence page in a new window or tab.
The maps are 41.05 inches x 43 inches (104.27 cm x 109.22 cm) in size, saved at 300 dpi from ArcGIS Advanced 10.5.1. There are two formats available.
- The NWT Hydrocarbon Potential Map in TIF format saved as PDF (43 MB ~ 6 minutes to download at 1Mb/s) contains no individual objects or text, it is simply an image of the map. This map is the best version for print production on large format plotters. There is also a less compressed version of the NWT Hydrocarbon Potential map in TIFF format saved as a PDF (167 MB in size and will take 23 minutes to download at 1Mb/s), for those that want to have less compression artifacts in the map for viewing or printing.
- The NWT Hydrocarbon Potential Map directly saved from GIS environment in GeoPDF format (53 MB ~ 7-8 minutes to download at 1Mb/s). This map is a GeoPDF with the ability to turn some layers on and off and determine the latitude and longitude position of any point on the map using the Analyze Tool in Adobe Acrobat. The map has vector points, lines, polygons, text labels and annotation as well as text in the legend. The end user can also measure perimeter, length and areas using the Analyze/Analysis Tool in Acrobat Professional. For a more lengthy description of how to use the Analyse/Analysis Tool please refer to the current areas for expression of interest page. This map allows for full print reproduction and content searches within Adobe Acrobat. Note: some layers with transparencies are merged with the background and cannot be individually turned off as this is a limitation of the export process.
The files are available below.
For best print reproduction on an HP plotter while printing from Adobe Acrobat:
- If you have access to a plotter that is 44 inches in width or larger, you can create a custom page setup of 44 inches x 42 inches to allow for accurate printing of the map as designed.
- Use the newest postscript drivers and select "properties" then "colour" then "application managed colours", let the software perform colour correction.
- If using the HPGL2 drivers disable the automatic colour correction as well.
- Do not use the HPGL2 printer drivers to print the large sized GeoPDF, this will cause errors in the final output, only print the TIF version PDF using the HPGL2 drivers.
For support in printing the large format map or questions regarding the map please contact us.