The goals of the fund are to:
- Increase the number of skilled and certified people working across various tourism sectors;
- Retain tourism workers by supporting their access to training opportunities critical for job satisfaction and labour market competitiveness;
- Develop tourism workers in the NWT who are professional and offer safe services at a world-class level;
- Support training which increases opportunities for tourism workers to diversify their income; and
- Develop capacity and long-term sustainability in tourism sectors, where tourism operators retain a workforce trained to meet their needs entrepreneurs.
- Individual Application: maximum funding per application is $3,000.
- Business or Group Application: maximum funding per application is $6,000.
- Please review the guidelines for more information about funding requirements.
- Equity requirement of 25%
- Equity requirement of 50% if training is a “refresher” or a recertification for training that expires after a set period of time
Call for applications normally issued in April with a deadline in May.
If there is funding left over a second intake will occur in August with a deadline in September.
- Must be a resident of the NWT
- Hold a valid NWT Tourism Operator License
- Non-GNWT Visitor Information Centres
- NWT accommodations sector employers or employees
- Businesses, not-for-profit tourism associations or organizations engaged in the tourism sector in the NWT. Formal volunteers (e.g. festival or event) can be considered under group funding.
- A group of individuals from various NWT tourism businesses collaborating for training
Individuals or businesses in the aviation industry are not eligible for this program.
Training must be short, formal courses or workshops, less than 12 weeks in duration and not eligible under Employment Insurance (EI) training funding. Courses can be either:
- in-person courses or workshops or
- distance education such as online courses,
- or a combination of in-person and distance education
Training outside of Canada will not be considered. Please review the TTF Guidelines below for a list of ineligible training.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted by the intake deadline that is prior to the training start date. Applications for training already completed will not be considered.