This program is accepting applications until April 8, 2019.
The Tourism Training Fund (TTF) is designed to fund short-term training opportunities for tourism workers to gain new skills or to upgrade skills and assist tourism operators in the NWT to support and encourage a well-trained tourism labour force.
Who is eligible?
- Must be a resident of the NWT
- Hold a valid NWT Tourism Operator License
- Non-GNWT Visitor Information Centres
- NWT accommodations sector employers or employees
- Businesses, not-for-profit tourism associations or organizations engaged in the tourism sector in the NWT. Formal volunteers (e.g. festival or event) can be considered under group funding.
- A group of individuals from various NWT tourism businesses collaborating for training
Individuals or businesses in the aviation industry are not eligible for this program.
Training must be short, formal courses or workshops, less than 12 weeks in duration and not eligible under Employment Insurance (EI) training funding. Courses can be either:
- in-person courses or workshops or
- distance education such as online courses,
- or a combination of in-person and distance education
Training outside of Canada will not be considered. Please review the TTF Guidelines below for a list of ineligible training.
- Individual Application: maximum funding per application is $3,000.
- Business or Group Application: maximum funding per application is $6,000.
- Please review the guidelines for more information about funding requirements.
Costs or Fees:
- Funding will cover a maximum of 75 percent of total eligible costs. Applicants are required to invest a minimum of 25 percent financial equity of the total eligible costs.
- If the training is a “refresher” or a recertification for training that expires after a set period of time, funding will cover a maximum of 50 percent of total eligible costs. Applicants are required to invest a minimum of 50 percent financial equity of the total eligible costs.
- One application per year per applicant.
- A maximum of two applicants per tourism business per course will be given priority. Additions will be considered based on course and funding availability.
- Non-NWT resident owners of an NWT tourism business may claim only course fees and course materials as eligible training costs.
- An applicant not yet employed in but striving for a tourism job may apply for funding up to a maximum of 50 percent of eligible training costs.
- Important note: Individual applicants who have training applications approved two fiscal years in a row are not eligible to apply in the third fiscal year. Applications will be accepted again in the following fiscal year.
Business or Group Applications
- One application per year per business or group.
- Applications for group funding must demonstrate that the funding is intended to train more than one staff by a certified instructor.
- Participants registered for the training who must travel from another community to attend the training may apply for up to 75% of their eligible training costs to be reimbursed upon proof of completion of the training. These requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Priority will be given to training opportunities in communities. The total funding request for instructor and travelling participants must still be within the maximum funding allowable for group applications.
- Completed application form submitted by the posted deadline.
- For individual applications: A letter of support from a tourism sector employer or a potential tourism sector employer and/or representative stating the applicant’s suitability is required. (Note: a letter is not required if the applicant is the business owner.)
- If your application is successful, additional documents will be required. Please see Finance and Reporting section for more details.
How to Apply
Intake for this program is currently close. Look for a new intake in the new year.
Complete the application form below and email it to your Regional Tourism Development Officer (RTO) or submit it in person at a regional ITI office. Applicants are encouraged to ask their RTO about any questions they have or for assistance to complete the application form.
Applications must be submitted by the intake deadline that is prior to the training start date. Applications for training already completed will not be considered.
Please review the TTF Guidelines below for information about the selection, appeals and notification process.
North Slave Regional Office
Tel: (867) 767-9212 Email: Tourism_NorthSlave@gov.nt.ca
South Slave Regional Office
Tel: (867) 872-8046 Email: Tourism_SouthSlave@gov.nt.ca
Dehcho Regional Office
Tel: (867) 695-7500 Email: Tourism_Dehcho@gov.nt.ca
Sahtu Regional Office
Tel: (867) 587-7171 Email: Tourism_Sahtu@gov.nt.ca
Beaufort Delta Regional Office
Tel: (867) 777-7196 Email: Tourism_BeaufortDelta@gov.nt.ca