The Government of the Northwest Territories administers the Work Credit Program to award extra work credits for eligible exploration incurred during a calendar year.
Each participant will be granted up to 150% in work credit on eligible exploration activities. For example, if a participant spends $100,000 towards eligible work expenses, (and it is approved by the Mining Recorder), the work will be valued at $150,000 in work credits.
- Work done on mineral leases and prospecting permit areas are not eligible for the Work Credit Program.
- For the purpose of this Work Credit Program, “eligible work” is defined in subsection 1(1)(a) of the Mining Regulations.
- The work must be submitted in the form of a technical report of work as required by the Mining Regulations, and it must discuss only work conducted during the period April 1, 2019 to March 31, 2022.
- The actual work performed on each mineral claim must be reported as required by the Mining Regulations. Anyone submitting a work report should contact the Mining Recorder’s Office for information regarding the allocation of work credits.
- The Mining Recorder will conduct the work credit calculations after the regulatory review has been completed and approved.
The Work Credit Program has been extended! Work completed between April 1, 2019 and March 31, 2022 that is reported to the Mining Recorder no later than September 30, 2022, will now be credited 50 percent. To take advantage of the extra work credits, all work done between April 1, 2019 and March 31, 2022, must be reported to the Mining Recorder no later than September 30, 2022.
Mineral claim holders impacted by COVID-19 can now use the GNWT’s Work Credit Program to reduce cash-in-lieu deposit requirements on extension applications. This relief applies to claim holders with anniversary dates that fall between April 1, 2021 and March 31, 2022. Credits will be applied on application only. Should a mineral claim holder not be able to meet their work requirements for the 2021/2022 fiscal year, clients will have the opportunity to apply for an extension under the current mining regulation. The required cash deposit will be credited with 75% of the required deposit amount.
To apply for COVID Relief credits, clients must:
- Submit Application (Link to MRO Application) within 90 days of their anniversary dates
- Pay Application for Extension Fee ($0.25/ha)
- Submit refundable deposit (Calculated as 25% of Required Deposit)
For more information, contact Valerie Gordon, Mining Recorder at
Valerie_Gordon@gov.nt.ca or at 867.767.9210 ext. 63175