The Northwest Territories Geological Survey has opened the 2021-22 application period for the Northwest Territories (NWT) Mining Incentive Program (MIP). The NWT MIP provides funding to prospectors and exploration companies proposing new exploration projects or already carrying out NWT mineral exploration work.
In response to COVID-19, several changes were made to the 2020-2021 MIP. During 2021-2022, it is expected that the pandemic will continue to impact NWT mineral exploration and the majority of program changes made for 2020-2021 will be continued for the upcoming year.
These changes are:
- The maximum funding for corporate projects remains at 60% of eligible expenses (up from 50% pre-pandemic).
- The maximum funding for corporate projects is $240,000 (up from $200,000 pre-pandemic).
- Proposals for advanced mineral exploration project will be considered for funding.
- NWT expenses related to self-isolation, expediting, and program logistics remain eligible for MIP funding (were not eligible pre-pandemic).
- Remote community access requires proof of community engagement and a risk assessment plan.
- A checklist will be used to confirm applicants’ understanding of NWT public health orders.
This year’s MIP application deadline of April 30, 2021 is a return to the normal program timeline.
For more information, visit the Northwest Territories Geological Survey