March 7, 2019
They save the best until last. The final day of the Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada’s annual exchange in Toronto featured the Unlocking Our Potential Invest NWT event.
Presented collaboratively with the NWT & Nunavut Chamber of Mines, the half-day spotlight offered delegates an update on the NWT’s mineral development sector, new geological research and related infrastructure investments.
More detailed dialogues were stimulated by panel discussions on the regulatory environment and with Indigenous business leaders and representatives of the NWT’s mining industry.
Paul Gruner, President and CEO of the Det’on Cho Corporation guided a discussion among NWT Indigenous business leaders including:
- Lillian Brewster, Vice-President, Indigenous Community Relations & Development, ATCO
- Patrick “Dang” Gruben, Chairman, Inuvialuit Development Corporation
- Bobbie Joe Greenland-Morgan, Grand Chief & President, Gwich’in Tribal Council; and
- Darrel Beaulieu, Chief Executive Officer, Denendeh Group of Companies
Partnering with the GNWT to represent the NWT mining industry to the world, Tom Hoefer, Executive Director, NWT & Nunavut Chamber of Mines steered the discussions of an NWT industry panel comprised of:
- Don MacDonald, President and CEO of NorZinc Ltd. (TSX: NZC) Prairie Creek Mine – Lead, Zinc, Silver;
- Don Bubar, President and CEO of Avalon Advanced Materials Inc. (TSX: AVL)/Cheetah – Nechalacho Rare Earth Elements;
- Paddy Nichol, President and CEO of Evrim Resources Corp. (TSX-V: EVM) Astro Gold Project; and
- Jeff Hussey, President and CEO of Osisko Metals Inc. (TSX: OM) Pine Point Mining Camp Project - Lead-zinc.
The event was capped by a networking opportunity featuring a draw for two return tickets anywhere Canadian North flies. Patrick Gruben of the Inuvialuit Regional Corporation joined Deputy Minister of Industry, Tourism and Investment to hand out the award to lucky winner Hassan Alast.
The annual PDAC Convention is the world’s leading exploration and mining industry conference with a focus on investment, mineral exploration and development, and issues of importance to the sector and Canada. It is the premier event of choice for the world’s minerals industry.