If you offer guided commercial tourism activities in the Northwest Territories, you are considered a tourism operator under the Tourism Act and require a Tourism Operator Licence.
Please review the Tourism Operator Licensing Manual below before applying.
What You’ll Get
If successful, you will receive a Tourism Operator Licence.
For detailed information about licensed tourism operators and their tourism services, please visit NWT Tourism.
Costs or Fees
- Tourism Operator Licences – Renewals: $175 as of April 23, 2019
- Tourism Operator Licences – New: $580 as of April 23, 2019
- Tourism Operators Licences – Significant Amendments: $350 as of April 23, 2019
Please be advised that GNWT departments are taking steps to ensure that fees are adjusted regularly to keep up with inflation. Accordingly, Tourism Operator Licence (TOL) fees will increase every year on April 1st based on the Yellowknife Consumer Price Index (CPI) of the previous calendar year. Please note that the application fee is for processing an application and not for the licence itself. This means the fee is non-refundable, even if the application fails to receive approval.
- Completed and signed application form (either new or amendment)
- Proof of Liability Insurance
- Proof of Incorporation (if applicable)
- Waste Management Plan (if applicable)
- Safety Plan
- Application Fee
* Effective April 2018, detailed safety plans are required for a tourism operator licence. To assist with safety plans, guidance documents and safety plan samples are available at your regional ITI office. Risk management training is also available.
How to Apply
- You can apply for your Tourism Operator Licence at any time throughout the year.
- Tourism Operator Licences must be renewed annually.
- Please review the Tourism Operator Licensing Manual below before applying.
- Complete the application form below and submit it, along with the required documents, to the ITI office in the region you hope to operate.
Note: The ITI regional office will need to consult with Indigenous organizations and existing tourism operators in your proposed area of operation. They may also consult with other individuals or groups who may be impacted by your proposed activities
North Slave Regional Office
Tel: (867) 767-9212
South Slave Regional Office
Tel: (867) 872-8046
Dehcho Regional Office
Tel: (867) 695-7500
Sahtu Regional Office
Tel: (867) 587-7171
Beaufort Delta Regional Office
Tel: (867) 777-7196
|Application Form - New Tourism Operator Licence||870.83 KB|
|Application Form - Amendment to Tourism Operator Licence||726.32 KB|
|Tourism Operator Licensing Manual||2.17 MB|
|TOL Licence Fee Table - 2019||711.74 KB|