This program is designed to incentivize production companies to choose the NWT for their location filming needs by rebating a percentage of their NWT based spending. It rebates costs associated with the purchase of goods and services, travel to and within the NWT, and the training and hiring of NWT residents.
The program also includes an increased incentive for productions filming outside of Yellowknife, to encourage film activity throughout the NWT.
- NWT Labour/Training Rebate
- 25 percent rebate for eligible NWT Labour.
- An additional 15 percent rebate for Recognized Positions or for NWT Resident candidates receiving on-set training.
- NWT Expenditure Rebate
- 25 percent rebate for all Goods and Services that qualify as NWT Spend purchased and consumed in the NWT.
- An additional 15 percent rebate for Goods and Services for productions shooting outside of Yellowknife city limits.
- NWT Travel Rebate
- Ten percent rebate for travel to and from the NWT from anywhere in the world.
- 35 percent rebate for travel within the NWT (excluding aerial photography).
Note: Travel costs for a non-NWT Residents may not be eligible in cases where a qualified NWT crew member could have been hired instead. NWT Travel Rebate amount may not exceed $15,000 per production.
Applications accepted year-round. Funding is distributed on a first-come-first-served basis with funds replenishing on April 1st of each year.
Professional production companies based anywhere in the world, whose project(s) is anticipated to spend a minimum of $60,000 CAD in the NWT are eligible to apply.