This program provides funding to prospectors and exploration companies who propose new exploration projects or are already carrying out mineral exploration work in the Northwest Territories (NWT).
Prospectors licenced to operate in the NWT can apply for up to $25,000 in funding.
Eligible expenses are those incurred during the period April 1st of the previous year to March 31st of the year that the application is submitted (eg: April 1, 2024 to March 31, 2025), including:
- Food and Consumables
- Field Gear
- Equipment Rental
- Professional Consultation
- Logistics and Expediting
The following expenses are not eligible:
- Capital expenses
- Staking costs
- Recording, renewing, grouping, transferring, or otherwise acquiring or maintaining an interest
- in a mineral property
- Management, legal, or accounting fees
- Travel to the NWT
- Activities directly resulting in net income from mineral production
- Expenses related to reclamation
- Expenses related to community consultation
- Personal expenses
The deadline to apply is the last business day in April, each year.
- Have a valid NWT Prospecting License (available at the Mining Recorder’s Office).
- Possess a registered Canadian bank account for the transfer of grant money.
- Only submit proposals for areas in which they have the legal right to conduct exploration (information on staking is available at the Mining Recorder’s Office).
- Propose a well‐conceived and technically‐sound exploration program to be considered for MIP funding. Applications will be evaluated by the expert staff of the Northwest Territories Geological Survey (NTGS) and other divisions of the Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment (ITI).
- Maximize the use of NWT goods and services will be ranked higher than comparable applications that do not provide this benefit to the NWT.
- Ensure that the proper permitting is in place and that work programs comply with existing laws and regulations (information on the Mining Regulations is available at the Mining Recorder’s Office).
- Be prepared at all times to demonstrate compliance with the most current CPHO orders and guidance.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to discuss their exploration activities with local communities.
How to apply
|Mining Incentive Program Recipients 2023-2024.pdf
|Mining Incentive Program 2022 Recipients.pdf
|Mining Incentive Program 2021-22 CanNor Recipients.pdf
|Mining Incentive Program 2021 Recipients.pdf
|Mining Incentive Program 2020 Recipients.pdf
|Mining Incentive Program 2019 Recipients