This program provides sector specific funding in two distinct categories:
- NWT businesses can look to defray the cost of investing in new, or expanded, facilities and equipment (Capital Expansion Incentive); and
- NWT business associations and communities can defray the cost of investing in the research or expansion needed to improve their understanding or presence in a sector (Sector Research Support).
Under the Capital Expansion Incentive category, NWT businesses may offset loan interest associated with new capital purchases for the expansion of their business.
- Up to $30,000, distributed over two or three years, with no single year exceeding $15,000 in support, is available.
Under the Sector Research Support category, up to $25,000 may be available to assist with:
- Sector-specific research or planning that benefits business in that sector by providing information critical to the development of that sector or assisting in investment attraction.
- Investing in sector-specific product development and related packaging materials and/or sector-specific marketing campaigns.
There are minimum Equity Requirements, these are determined by community:
- Group 1 communities (Yellowknife, Hay River, Fort Smith, and Inuvik) – 30% of project costs
- Group 2 communities (all other communities within NWT) – 20% of project costs
Funding is available from April 1 to March 31st annually.
NWT Businesses can apply to the Capital Expansion Incentive category while Indigenous organizations, business associations, and municipalities can apply to the Sector Research Support category.
In all cases, applicants must be involved in one of the following sectors as designated by the Minister:
- Knowledge Economy
- Value–added Manufacturing
How to Apply
It is strongly recommended that you contact your regional Economic Development Officer to discuss your idea prior to the development of your proposal.
Complete an application form and attach all required documents identified in the application checklist.
Submit the completed application form to your regional office.