In general, there are two types of land claims that may direct oil and gas development in Canada: comprehensive claims and specific claims.
Comprehensive claims always involve land, but specific claims are not necessarily land-related. These claims arise in areas of Canada where Aboriginal land rights have not been dealt with by past treaties or through other legal means.
Land and self-government negotiations in the NWT usually involve three groups: the Government of Canada, the Government of the Northwest Territories, and one or more Indigenous government organization. Each negotiation is unique and reflects the needs and processes of the parties at the negotiation table.
Comprehensive Land Claims
- Inuvialuit Final Agreement (signed June 1984, effective July 1984)
- Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement (signed April 1992, effective December 1992)
- Sahtu Dene and Métis Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement (signed September 1993, effective June 1994)
Comprehensive Land Claim and Self-Government Agreements
- Tłįchǫ Land Claims and Self- Government Agreement with the four “Dogrib Treaty 11” communities (signed August 25 2003, effective August 2005)
Treaty Land Entitlement Processes
- Salt River First Nation Treaty Settlement Agreement (June 2002)
- Hay River Reserve Establishment (1974)
Community Self-Government Agreement
Aboriginal rights negotiations are underway in all regions of the NWT as Aboriginal governments seek to confirm their Aboriginal and treaty rights in the NWT. The GNWT, as a full partner to these negotiations, continues to promote workable and affordable agreements that respect Aboriginal rights. The GNWT is presently engaged in the following sets of negotiations:
Ghotlenene K’odtineh Dene (formerly Manitoba Dënesuliné)
First Nation of Nacho Nyak Dun
Sahtu Dene and Métis of Colville Lake
Sahtu Dene and Métis of Fort Good Hope
Sahtu Dene and Métis of Norman Wells
Sahtu Dene and Métis of Tulita
Land, Resources and Self-Government Agreements
1. Acho Dene Koe First Nation
2. Akaitcho Dene First Nations
3. Dehcho First Nations
4. Northwest Territory Métis Nation
Settlement Areas and Asserted Territories
This map shows settlement areas and asserted territories in the NWT. This is useful for engagement and consultation purposes.