Get Assistance From The Mining Recorder's Office

The Mining Recorder's Office is your contact for information on the Mining Regulations.

Under these regulations, we:

  • Administer subsurface rights including the issuing of:
    • Applications for prospector's licences
    • Claim tags
    • Minerals claims/leases/prospecting permits
  • Maintain MITS database
  • Keep records
  • Provide claim maps

For further information please contact the Mining Recorder, Valerie Gordon at or  867.767.9210 ext. 63175

Please Note:

The Mining Recorder’s Office continues to operate with adaptations that recognize and accommodate the COVID environment.   

Until further notice, client visits to the Mining Recorder’s Office will only be accommodated based on need and by pre-arranged appointment.

New applications to record mineral claims will continue to be accepted.

Extension of time applications and related fees and charges are not required until further notice. Work reports and simplified work reports will be accepted but will not be reviewed until further notice.

Lease rental payment deadlines are not expected to be met at this time, however payments will be accepted. All other lease-related transactions will continue to be processed, such as transfers.

Individual and company prospector licence applications will continue to be processed.

Payments can be made by credit card, cheque and electronic funds transfer.

For all inquiries please contact the office by email at or by telephone at (867) 767-9210 ext. 63464.

What We Can do for You

  • Provide information and advice on mineral rights to interested groups
  • Provide map copies
  • Provide information and legislative packages
  • Conduct custom subsurface rights research
  • Provide mineral disposition reports for land claimant groups, individuals and government
  • Provide a Guide to the New Mining Regulations

Mineral Tenure Web Map

Access the Mineral Tenure Web Map to view current data on mineral properties in the NWT, research geographical data online and produce customized maps using GIS information with specific focuses such as minerals and land claim areas. Click here to access a downloadable version. For the Mineral Tenure Web Map Guide click here. For the Quick Guide click here.

Mining Regulation Requirements

For a plain language summary of the Mining Regulation Requirements for Prospector's Licences, Prospecting Permits, mineral claims and mining leases, click here.

Coal Exploration License

For guidelines for individuals interested in applying for a Coal Exploration Licence, click here. For those reviewing Coal Exploration Licence applications, click here.


Below are links to forms you might need for new approvals and applications with the Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment.

Mining Regulations

Coal Regulations

Financial Analysis and Royalty Administration Forms 

If you cannot find what you're looking for, or you are not sure what you require for your activity, please contact us.