Professional film, television and media producers who reside in the NWT, or film, television and media businesses based in the NWT are eligible to apply for funding as entrepreneurs under the Film and Media Sector Funding Schedule of the Support for Entrepreneurs and Economic Development (SEED) Program. Producers who meet the eligibility requirements can apply for funding to support the growth and success of their projects and businesses.
Development (Up to $10,000 per fiscal year)
- To assist applicants with costs associated with the development stage of a new commercial project.
- Eligible costs include, but are not limited to: Third-party market and concept research, legal fees, concept art, consulting, scripting, filming and post-production fees.
Production (Up to $25,000 per fiscal year)
- To assist qualified film and media sector businesses in supporting commercial media productions in the NWT. Preference will be given to those projects that have secured funding through a recognized national media organization, broadcaster or distributor.
- Eligible costs include, but are not limited to: Equipment and location rentals, arms-length wages to cast and crew, accounting fees and post-production fees.
Distribution and Promotion(Up to $25,000 per fiscal year)
- To assist applicants with marketing and promoting their productions, services and businesses.
- Eligible costs include: Registration fees, select travel expenses, promotional materials, exhibition materials such as DCPs, media/public relations services, product marketing and distribution or other similar costs.
Special Partnerships (Up to $25,000 per fiscal year)
- To assist NWT business and organizations to take advantage of professional development or sector development opportunities that require higher amounts of equity or matching funds than they can individually support. Preference is given to initiatives that leverage funding or opportunity into the territory from elsewhere, and/or which benefit many people or businesses.
- Examples of eligible projects can be found in the Film and Media Sector Funding Schedule Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) supporting document.
Applications are accepted year-round. Funding is distributed on a first-come-first-served basis with funds replenishing on April 1st of each year.
NWT residents or NWT businesses engaged in commercial film and media sector production are eligible for assistance. Applicants should be able to demonstrate proficiency in the film and media sector. Demonstrated proficiency could include one or more of the following:
- Completion of a degree or certificate from a recognized film and media arts program at least two years in length;
- Completing a production that won an award, or placed highly, in a competition designed to solicit non-professional entries;
- A credited role (director, producer, etc.) in a production that has been professionally released;
- Documented experience working in the in the film, television and media arts industry; or
- A registered Full Member of the NWT Professional Media Association.
Please refer to the Film and Media Sector Funding Schedule Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) supporting document for further clarification including ineligible projects and activities.
How to Apply
|SEED Application Form||764.95 KB|
|FAQ SEED Film and Media Funding Contributions May 2023.pdf||206.69 KB|
|NWTFC Five Stages of Film TV Production 2023 Info Card.pdf||734 KB|