Self-employed film producers in the NWT are eligible to apply for funding as entrepreneurs under the Film and Media Sector Funding Schedule of the Support for Entrepreneurs and Economic Development (SEED) Program.
It is strongly recommended that you contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your idea prior to the development of your proposal.
Who is Eligible?
NWT residents or NWT businesses engaged in film and media arts production. Applicants should demonstrate proficiency in the film and media arts sector. Demonstrated proficiency could include one or more of the following:
- Completing a production that won an award, or placed highly, in a competition designed to solicit non-professional entries;
- Completion of a degree or certificate from a recognized film and media arts program at least two years in length;
- A credited role in a professional production;
- Documented experience working in the film, television, or media arts industry;
- A registered member of the NWT Professional Media Association.
Under the Support for Film program, between up to $5,000 and $25,000 in support can be provided under four categories:
- Up to $5,000 is available
- Assistance for applicants with certain costs associated with completing a:
- Small Production ($5,000) - Eligible costs include: Equipment and location rentals, scripting and editing fees, licensing fees or other similar costs.
- Trailer/Pitch Production ($5,000) - Eligible costs include: Market and concept research, consultant, scripting, and filming and editing fees. NOTE: Producer fees, overhead fees, and employee payroll are not eligible costs under this program.
Marketing and Promotion
- Up to $15,000 is available.
- Assistance for applicants in marketing or promoting their skills, services or productions, to increase sales of new or existing NWT film and media arts products and services.
- Pitch Marketing ($5,000) - Eligible costs include: Travel expenses, promotional materials, media/public relations, and product marketing (e.g. Website).
- Product Marketing ($10,000) - Eligible costs include: Registration fees, travel expenses, promotional materials, media/public relations, product marketing and distribution or other similar costs. NOTE: Recipients can receive one time funding for printing and package 100 DVD’s.
- Service Marketing ($5,000) - Eligible costs include: Registration fees, travel expenses, promotional materials, and media/public relations.
- Up to $20,000 is available
- Assistance for qualified film and media arts businesses in supporting commercial media products.
- Up to $25,000 per fiscal year
- Assistance to support commercial film and media production stakeholder partnerships for the purposes of bolstering talent and career enhancement for film businesses and organizations in the NWT.
Equity Requirements, Costs or Fees
Equity requirements for all categories under Entrepreneur Support funding are as follows:
- Group/Level 1 communities (Yellowknife, Hay River, Fort Smith, and Inuvik) – 30%
- Group/Level 2 communities (all other communities within NWT) – 20%
Outside of Equity requirements, ITI has no other direct costs or fees associated with this program.
Applicants are required to submit:
- Outline of the scope and intent of the project to include: budget, quotes, and related statements.
- The names of any outside services providing assistance to the project.
- Any other relevant information related to the proposal. This may include what is requested by the regional panel for evaluation and recommendation purposes
For a complete list of required documents see the Application Checklist on the last page of the SEED application.
Other information may be requested. Speak with the NWT Film Commission about specific proposal requirements and evaluation criteria; funding limits, equity requirements and specific purposes to which funding can be applied.
How to Apply
To apply for Support for Film funding, download and complete the application form below and email to email@example.com. Please include all required documents along with your application, or your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.